Fitting in regular workouts is undeniably important when it comes to reaching your fitness goals- and fitting into your skinny jeans. But what you eat pre and post workout is just as important as the work you put in at the gym. Before and after high intensity, muscle crushing sweat sessions, your body needs the proper fuel to help you stay energized from the start of your workout until well after its complete. The best thing to eat 1-2 hours before you head to the gym should include some form of complex carb and protein.
Check out a few examples of some pre-workout options that will help provide the energy you need to crush your next workout!
- ½ each of brown rice and black beans
- Small sweat potato (small pad of butter optional)
- Banana with almond butter (2 tablespoons)
- Multigrain crackers with 3 tablespoons hummus
- ½ cup of Oatmeal with berries
- An apple and ¼ cup walnuts
The jury is still out on whether exercise on an empty stomach is the most effective for burning fat. But one thing research does conclude- to reap the full benefits of a tough workout, proper nourishment is essential. Your body’s muscles are in need of replenishment to restore and rebuild strength after being broken down. Post workout meals should include a combination of protein and carbohydrates within 30 minutes to an hour after your sweat sesh is complete.
Below are a few food ideas and meals to help maximize all of those post workout gains!
- Protein shake made with banana, protein powder, almond milk, and hemp seeds
- Salad with ½ cup roasted chickpeas (with olive oil and vinegar)
- Sauteed or steamed veggies with ½ cup Tofu
- 1 cup quinoa with 1 cup blackberries and ¼ cup pecans
- 2 slices multigrain toast with peanut butter/almond butter drizzled with agave
- Burrito- made with ½ cup beans, ½ cup rice, 2 tablespoons guacamole and salsa to taste
The Best Foods to Eat Before and After Your Workout, By: Nora Tobin