The WBC recently released the mandatory fights in 2016 for the Welterweight and Super Welterweight Divisions after their annual convention laying the foundation for what to expect.
From the WBC
January 12, 2016.
The WBC has prepared a process for the activity in the welter and superwelterweight divisions, which is as follows:
- Danny Garcia vs. Robert Guerrero will fight for the WBC welterweight championship.
- Amir Khan is ratified as mandatory contender.
- Lamont Peterson vs. Andre Berto for a final elimination bout to determine the second mandatory.
- Sammy Vasquez vs. Aaron Martinez, semi final elimination.
- Miguel Barrionuevo vs. Azael Cosio semi final elimination.
- The winners of the two semi final elimination fights to determine the wildcard.
- Ray Robinson, who is currently injured, is positioned as wildcard.
- Jermell Charlo vs. John Jackson will fight for the WBC superwelterweight championship.
- Demetrius Andrade vs. Charles Hatley for the first mandatory.
- Vanes Martirosyan vs. Julian Williams semi final elimination.
- Ishe Smith vs. Jorge Cota semi final elimination.
- The winners of the two semi final eliminations will fight each other for the wildcard.
- Austin Trout placed as wildcard.
The WBC is very enthusing with this process, which will bring important activity involving fighters from all over the world in this process.
The WBC will be updating information frequently and wishes the best of luck to all the participants who are seeking to reach the glory of conquering the WBC green belt.
Looks like we have an action packed schedule for these competitive division. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!